Sunday, November 15, 2009

Formative vs. Summative Evaluations

At the beginning of the semester I noticed that I did not realize what formative and summative evaluations were and I did not know the differences between them.

After researching the two assessments, I learned that formative assessments are ongoing and made to realize strengths or where improvements are needed, while summative assessments are used to look back on an event in retrospect of the event.

As a teacher, I would use formative assessment to mark progress in my classroom and decide whether or not changes need to be made in order to better my students' learning or change certain habits they may have. These assessments will also provide opportunity for students to give me feedback as well as for me to provide my students with feedback. These are gradual and allow for changes to be made along the way.

In my classroom I would use summative assessments to note my students achievement over the previous grading period or semester, show evidence of achievement or lack thereof, or to document habits rather than assessing them and changing them, as a formative assessment would allow. These are to look back on what has already been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment